Please come on out to the Mine Fall Trails Day's to help maintain the Park. Meets at 9am at the Lincoln Park entrance for the following dates:
April 21, May 19, June 23, August 18, September 22, October 20, & November 5 (If needed).
Mine Falls Park is one of the most instantly recognizable and vital parts of the city of Nashua. The park is located in the heart of the city and was purchased in 1969 with city and federal Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) monies. The 325-acre park includes forest, wetlands, and open fields; it is bordered on the north by the Nashua River and on the south by the Millpond and canal system.
Visitors enjoy numerous passive recreation opportunities such as walking, boating, fishing, cross-country skiing, and biking. The park also includes several fields for organized sports.
The name "Mine Falls"
derives from the 1700s, when low quality lead was supposedly mined from
the island below the falls. In the early 1800s the potential of the
Nashua River to drive the wheels of industry was recognized. Workers
used shovels and mules to dig the three-mile long canal, which provides a
vertical drop of 36 feet at the mills.
The Gatehouse near the falls was built in 1886 - with the first gates
being built in 1826 - and it still brings the river to the Millpond.
Currently, the gatehouse is the focus of a middle school student led
restoration project. The hydroelectric plant near the falls was built in
Historic District & Heritage Trail System
In 1987 the Nashua River Canal and the Nashua Manufacturing Company
Historic District (the Millyard) were placed on the National Register of
Historic Places. In 1992 the park trails were designated part of the
New Hampshire Heritage Trail system, which extends 130 miles along the
Merrimack River from Massachusetts to Canada.