The Division of Public Works, Solid Waste Department provides a biweekly curbside collection of single stream recyclables on the same day as trash pickup. All recyclables can go into the same recycling bin or recycling cart. There is no need to separate recyclables. Recyclables can also be dropped off at the Nashua Recycling Center during normal business hours.
The City of Nashua Solid Waste Departments provides two small rectangular bins for each household to collect recyclables. Residents whose trash is picked up by the Solid Waste Department may also purchase a 96-gallon bright green recycling cart for use in the curbside collection program. The cart costs $60 and has an individual ID number on the front of the cart.
Here’s how to get a cart:
- On any weekday between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:30 pm, go onto the scale at the Four Hills Landfill / Nashua Recycling Center, have a check made out to the City of Nashua, or pay by credit or debit card, and a cart number will be assigned. Give your name, address and phone number, and you may take the cart if you have a large enough vehicle to transport it, or request a free delivery.
- Or, send a check for $60 made out to the City of Nashua, to the Solid Waste Department, 840 West Hollis Street, Nashua NH 03062. You may pick up the cart when it’s ready or request a delivery.
Recycling carts are used in the same way as the smaller recycling bins:
- All recyclables must be LOOSE in the carts, with NO plastic bags, NO Styrofoam, NO shredded paper, and NO plastic-coated cartons for milk or juice, along with other items on the unacceptable list. LEAVE IT OUT, if you are not sure if something is recyclable; call 589-3426 with any questions about recyclables.
- Set out by 6:45 am on your collection day, according to either the A or B bi-weekly schedule. Place on the opposite side of the driveway from the trash cart, or leave at least 3-5 feet between the carts. Remove carts from curbside by the end of collection day.
Important Recycling Information
You must place ONLY acceptable items (see link below) in the recycling bins or the bins will either not be emptied or the inappropriate items will be left curbside. The current recycling requirements have become more stringent, and the Nashua Solid Waste Department must process our recycling accordingly. NO food contaminated containers (such as pizza boxes with oil or cheese residue) NO Styrofoam allowed and absolutely NO plastic bags of any kind! Please see link below for more information.
- Flatten cardboard and cut to 30 inches square; place between the 2 bins
- Remove liners from cereal boxes, etc.
- Staples, tape, glue and any papers that can tear are acceptable
- Newspapers may be put into paper grocery bags for convenient storage and handling
- Rinse all containers; labels may remain
Note: Two bins are provided by the Solid Waste Department, but residents may put out additional bins. These extra bins must have handles and be no taller than the recycling bins; barrels or plastic bags are not accepted as extra containers.
Contact the Solid Waste Department at 603-589-3410 or 589-3426 if you have any questions.