Transfer of Ownership & Title

As current regulations hold the last owner liable for the costs of abandoning a vehicle, it is important to ensure that the State of New Hampshire is notified of any vehicle ownership change. This is accomplished by either applying for a new title or a new registration for the vehicle, or notifying the State that the vehicle has been sold.

Bill of Sale

Although a bill of sale is required for either transaction, the bill of sale by it itself does not establish a change in ownership.

Vehicle Titles

  • New Hampshire is a title required state, and title to a motor vehicle must be proven before registration can be obtained.
  • When the owner of a vehicle with a previous title from another state seeks a New Hampshire title for that vehicle, the owner shall have a New Hampshire title application completed and submit it to the Motor Vehicle Division.
  • The owner shall surrender his out-of-state title to the State Motor Vehicle Department.
  • Usually the registration is prepared by the City's Municipal Office at the same time that the title application is prepared, and both are submitted to the New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Department by the City's Municipal Office.
  • Please note that the only acceptable proof of ownership is the actual title. Photocopies or faxed copies are unacceptable.

Selling or Trading a Vehicle

If the owner of a vehicle wishes to transfer ownership by selling or trade they need to take the following steps:
  1. Transfer ownership to the buyer on the reverse side of the title by filling in buyer's name, buyer's address, and current odometer reading
  2. Obtain signatures of seller and buyer
  3. Give the title to the buyer


When a lienholder is in possession of the out-of-state title to a vehicle for which title is sought in New Hampshire and where the ownership is unchanged, a New Hampshire title application shall be prepared by the City's Municipal Office or by the financial institution if there is a New Hampshire-based location, which shall be submitted to the City's Municipal Office.

Required Documentation

Bringing in your purchase and sales agreement, current registration, current mileage, proof of residence and current ID will be required to start the titling process. When the Title Bureau has received the original title, they will issue a letter to the registered owner giving permission to register. The letter and the blue Title Application that was prepared shall be surrendered to the Division of Motor Vehicles for New Hampshire registration and plates.

Vehicle Owner From Another Country

When the owner of said vehicle is entering New Hampshire from another country (Canada, Europe, etc.) and seeks a New Hampshire title, the City's Municipal Office will require:
  • Current mileage
  • Current Plated Foreign Registration
  • Declaration Form HS-7 (PDF)
  • Notarized Bill of Sale if applicable
  • Verification of Vehicle Identification (Form 19A)

Title Requirements

The form must be completed by an authorized agent before an application for Title and Registration can be prepared. Effective January 1, 2015, a vehicle that is 2000 or newer is now required to be titled.