Amending a Birth Certificate

Sometimes a person finds that the information on the official record is not complete or that some item of information on the certificate does not agree with what he/she believes to be the facts. When this is the case, it is possible to have missing information added, or to have errors on the certificate corrected. There is a fee for an amendment.

A person who wishes to legally change his or her name must contact the Register of Probate at 30 Spring Street, Nashua, NH 03060 (603-882-1231) for further information. Birth certificate amendments are made for the purpose of correcting a record only!

Who Can Apply
Any person may apply for completion or correction of any certificate in which he/she is directly interested. Ordinarily, this will be the person whose certificate needs to be completed or corrected, one of the parents, or the legal representative of the individual. If the registrant is 18 years of age or older, he/she must approve the requested change when the application is submitted by anyone other than themselves.

Special Form
There is a special form used for the purpose of applying to amend a certificate. The application must be completed in triplicate and be signed by the person who is applying to amend the record. The signature must be notarized. The applicant will also need to submit evidence to substantiate the statements. Documents used as evidence will be returned to the applicant after the certificate is amended. For minor changes, made within 6 months of occurrence, a different form is used.

Occasional Concern
Sometimes a concern arises because the name which appears on the person's certificate is not the name by which he/she is commonly known. In this case it is necessary to determine whether the difference is due to an error on the certificate or whether the person's name has changed by usage. If the names which appear on the certificate were in error, the name or names may be corrected by applying and presenting two early pieces of documentary evidence which show the individual's correct name or names.

Proper Forms
The clerk will select the proper forms for the particular request and determine the suitability of documents submitted to substantiate facts. Application to correct or complete a certificate must be made to the city or town clerk in which the event occurred.