The City of Nashua has adopted an Elderly Exemption program. The exemption is subtracted from the property assessment. The exemption for those who qualify is:
- 65-74 years of age as of April 1st = $194,000
- 75-79 years of age as of April 1st = $224,000
- 80 years of age and older as April 1st = $280,000
Filing deadline is April 15. Applications are accepted after January 1.
City of Nashua Elderly Exemption (RSA 72:39-a:)
- An Income and Asset Statement, covering the full calendar year preceding April 1st, must be completed and submitted at the Assessor’s Office.
- A permanent record card must be signed in person at the Assessor’s Office.
Summary of Elderly Exemption Eligibility Requirements
- Must be 65 years of age on or before April 1.
- Must be the owner of record on or before April 1.
- Must reside in the State of New Hampshire for 3 consecutive years on or before April 1.
- Married couples must have been married for 5 consecutive years on or before April 1.
- Must occupy the property as their principal abode to qualifying for the elderly exemption.
Income qualifications include any net income (not adjusted) from all sources in the calendar year preceding April 1st.
- Single person income not to exceed $50,000
- Married persons joint income not to exceed $50,000
Asset qualifications will include any assets on the date of application.
- Assets not to exceed $150,000 (excluding the home they reside in)
- Any other real estate owned anywhere (individually, jointly, in common, fractional) including land, mobile homes, condos, timeshares, etc.
- Checking and/or savings account balances.
- CD’s, IRA’s, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, annuities, life insurance policies, money market, etc.
- Any and all vehicles registered in your name including motor vehicles, cars, trucks, RV’s, trailers, etc.
Application and required paperwork must be submitted and completed on or before April 15th.
- Trust document(s) – if applicable
- Birth certificate(s)
- Marriage Certificate and/or divorce decree
- Latest statements of ALL bank account(s) (cd, stock & bonds, checking, 401’s, etc.) – from the previous January till present date (full statements)
- Life insurance policy(ies) & lastest statement showing “allowed amount to borrow and/or cash surrender value”
- Car registration(s) – if you own any type of vehicle but do not register it, please bring in papers showing year/make/model
- 1040 & full backup (w2’s, Social Security Statement & Pension Statement, 1099’s, etc.)
- Any other property or time share (current tax bill with assessment from Town/County) – if applicable
- Reverse mortgage closing papers and statements - the previous January till present – if applicable
- Equity Line-of-Credit closing papers and statements - the previous January till present – if applicable
If you have questions concerning what paperwork is required, please contact our office.
- You might need the free Acrobat Reader to view or print these PDF forms.
- Download, print, fill-out/complete the forms, sign and date the forms.
- Submit the forms with required documents listed above to the City of Nashua Assessing Office.