All Veteran's Credit - Newly Adopted
All Veteran’s Tax Credit
The City of Nashua has adopted State of NH - RSA 72:28-b - All Veteran’s Tax Credit.
If you were previously denied due to not serving in a qualifying war or conflict or not having a required medal, we encourage you to apply for this newly adopted All Veterans’ Tax Credit (RSA 72:28-b).
If you feel you qualify it will be important to come into the Assessing Department and submit the application with all required paperwork by April 15, 2018 to avoid any delay in processing. If all criteria are met, the All Veteran’s Tax Credit will be applied to your 2018 property tax bill, if application is received before 4/15/2018, the statutory deadline to apply for tax year 2018.
A person shall qualify for the All Veteran’s Tax Credit if the person is a resident of this state who served not less than 90 days of active duty service in the armed forces of the United States and was honorably discharged or an officer honorably separated from service; or the spouse or surviving spouse of such resident, provided that Title 10 training for active duty by a member of a national guard or reserve shall be included as service under this paragraph; provided however that the person is not eligible for and is not receiving a credit under RSA 72:28 - Standard and Optional Veteran’s Tax Credit or RSA 72:35 - Tax Credit for Service-Connected Total Disability.
As required for the Standard and Optional Veteran’s Credit (RSA 72:28), the veteran must be a resident of the State of NH for one year as of April 1st of the year of application and also be the owner of the property and using the property as their primary residence as of April 1st of the year of application.
Please come into the Assessing Department in Nashua City Hall, 229 Main Street, to complete the necessary documents to apply and bring with you your Form DD-214 (Member 4) or its equivalent showing entry and discharge dates of active duty and the character of service, your NH driver’s license and if ownership of the property is in a trust, a copy of the trust. We will only retain the two or three pages necessary to show a beneficial interest. If the surviving spouse is applying, the death certificate of the veteran must be provided or if the spouse is applying, the marriage certificate must be provided.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please call the Assessing Department at 603-589-3040. Our business hours are 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
Veteran’s or Veteran’s Widow Tax Credit.
If qualified, a credit will be deducted from your real estate tax bill depending upon your qualifying category.
Filing deadline is April 15, 2018. Applications are accepted after January 1, 2018.
- Category A - $500 deducted annually from tax bill
- Categories B and C - $2,000 deducted annually from tax bill
- Category D - Exempt from all taxation on homestead
- Category E - Applied in increments until 2019 when it will reach $500
Documents Required for Application
- Department of Defense Form DD214 Member 4 (Discharge Paper) or Veteran State Council Approved Document.
- Documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs verifying rating to be totally and permanently disabled due to a service-connected injury.
- If ownership of the property is in a trust, we will need to see a copy of the trust. We will only retain the two or three pages necessary to show a beneficial interest by the applicant.
- If the surviving spouse is applying, the death certificate of the veteran must be provided.
- If the spouse is applying, the marriage certificate must be provided.
If you need assistance in getting your Form DD-214 you can submit a request online.
Veterans’ Tax Credit Eligibility Requirements (RSA 72:28-72:36-a)
- Must be owner of the property and the owner’s primary residence as of April 1st.
- Includes persons who have equitable title or beneficial interest for life in the subject property
- For RSA’s 72:35, 72:29-a and 72:36-a applicant shall have been a resident of the municipality on April 1st of the year in which the credit is claimed.
- For RSA’s 72:28 and 72:28-b, must be a resident of the State of New Hampshire for one year preceding April 1st of the year in which the credit is claimed.
- Owner must file a permanent application after January 1st and no later than April 15th.