About the Program
Every year, Beyond Influence hosts a summer photography project for middle school aged youth in the Greater Nashua Public Health Region (GNPHR) to promote positive behaviors. This project, known as PhotoVoice, is a program used worldwide that allows individuals to explore important topics within a community and express themselves through photography by breaking past communication barriers that often prevent them from expressing their concerns.
PhotoVoice has been used in Nashua for several years by the Nashua Police Athletic League (PAL) and its youth members. With support from the Nashua Division of Public Health and Community Services (DPHCS), PhotoVoice has expanded throughout the GNPHR to include the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Nashua, the Boys and Girls Club of Souhegan Valley, and Nashua 21st Century. We hope to continue expanding the program within the GNPHR in the coming years.
This project truly is what Substance Misuse Prevention looks like, as it focuses on building up healthy, successful youth that in turn create healthy and successful communities. The goals of this project are multiple:
- To enable youth participants to record and reflect their community’s strengths and concerns;
- To promote critical dialogue and knowledge about personal and community issues within the chosen topic through large and small group discussions; and
- To provide visual representation(s) of community experience and problems within the Public Health context, while engaging policymakers and stakeholders.
The 2020 Greater Nashua PhotoVoice project will run from July 1 to July 31, learn how to participate below. If you are a youth serving organization in the GNPHR and are interested in partnering with us, please email us.
Submit a Photo & Description
The Nashua Division of Public Health and Community Services, along with the Nashua Prevention Coalition and the Greater Nashua Community Action for Safe Teens, invites youth and families in the Greater Nashua Public Health Region to share a photo and a short description highlighting what you are doing to keep your mind and body healthy during this difficult time.
All photos will become the property of the City of Nashua and will be shared on our social media pages in the effort to inspire others to stay healthy too. We encourage all to have fun during the process, and tell your friends, too!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE!
All photo and description submissions must be family-friendly and positive. No inappropriate photos or language will be accepted.
- Complete the Greater Nashua PhotoVoice Media Waiver in order to participate. You only need to fill this out once throughout the project.
- Take a photo to show what you are doing to keep your mind and body healthy! Write a short description about your photo and what is represents.
- Submit your photo with a short description USING THIS FORM (this form will go live July 1). Photos and descriptions are due each Thursday by 12 PM throughout the month of July in order to be entered to receive a gift card. One winner will be chosen each Friday.
- Each entry includes one photo and is eligible to win for that week. You may submit as many entries per week as you like, but only one entry per participant will be entered into the weekly gift card drawing. All submissions must include a name, address, email, and phone so we can contact our winners to arrange for delivery of gift cards.
- We also invite you to post your photos to your social media pages and tag us using @NashuaDPHCS, #NashuaDPHCS, and #GNPhotoVoice.
2019 Greater Nashua PhotoVoice Project
Theme: "Community is Here" - empowering youth to use photography to display their community as they see it