Public Health Week is Here!
With everything going on at this time, the Nashua Division of Public Health and Community Services (DPHCS) continues to invite our community to join us in celebrating National Public Health Week 2020! The goal of this week is to engage with individuals, families, and organizations to celebrate how our community works together to ensure that everyone has the best opportunity to live a long and healthy life in a safe environment. Please join us for a full interactive week of learning and focusing on prevention, healthy choices, and the importance of community in the Greater Nashua Region!
During each day of Public Health Week, we will focus on a topic important to creating the healthiest Greater Nashua community. The topics of National Public Health Week 2020 include:
- Monday - Mental Health: advocate for and promote emotional well-being.
- Tuesday - Maternal and Child Health: ensure the health of mothers and babies throughout the lifespan.
- Wednesday - Violence Prevention: reduce personal and community violence to improve health.
- Thursday - Environmental Health: help protect and maintain a healthy planet.
- Friday - Education: advocate for quality education and schools.
- Saturday - Healthy Housing: ensure access to affordable and safe housing.
- Sunday - Economics: advocate for economic empowerment as the key to a healthy life
Prevent the Spread and Stay Healthy!
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) may have thrown a curveball in our ability to host and attend physical events during this week, but we assure you that this will still be a week of entertainment and education for all. This week we are choosing to celebrate while staying healthy at home to maintain social distance and keep our community safe. If you are interested in learning more about COVID-19, visit our website!
Let’s Learn about Public Health!
Public health is a fascinating subject - but what is it exactly? Public health is the science of protecting and improving the health of communities through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, and research for disease and injury prevention. Public health efforts focuses on improving the health of a population and preventing health problems before they happen. It is a broad field and covers a range of topics such as air pollution, epidemiology, communicable disease control, risk assessment, and health promotion. Check out the resources below to learn more about what we do at the Nashua DPHCS!
- What is Public Health?
- Social Determinants of Health
- An Introduction to Health Promotion
- Infectious Diseases
- Public Health Surviellance
- Outbreak Investigation
- Outbreak at Watersedge - This interactive game will introduce you to the world of public health as you help discover the source of the outbreak that has hit the small community of Watersedge and stop it before more residents get sick.
- The POD Game - Join the team in the middle of a Public Health Emergency at the Point of Dispensing (POD) and help your city respond! Learn the importance of public health emergency preparedness.
- The Great Flu - Fight the outbreak of a deadly virus and even work to prevent it in this interactive game based on a scenario from the Spanish Flu.
Watch a webinar provided by the American Public Health Association on a topics you’re interested in to learn more!
Interact with us on Social Media!
Facebook: NashuaDPHCS | Twitter: @NashuaPHealth | Instagram: NashuaDPHCS
Join your community in celebrating #NPHW throughout the Greater Nashua region. We look forward to seeing what you, your friends, your family, and your community is doing to celebrate! Use #GNPHWeek2020 to keep us posted and chat with us.