Website Feedback?
Home » City Government » Departments » City Clerk's Office » Vital Records » Birth Certificates Login

  Birth Certificates



With few exceptions, birth records for individuals born in New Hampshire are available only from the city or town clerk in the community where the birth occurred or from the NH Bureau of Vital Records in Concord. Copies of birth records for persons born in Nashua are available from the City Clerk at 229 Main Street. The Bureau of Vital Records in Concord is located at 71 South Fruit Street.

Regulations covering the retention and issuance of birth records vary from state-to-state. If you weren't born in New Hampshire and need to know whom to contact for your record, visit the National Center for Health Statistics' page on “
Where to Write for Vital Records.”  The document provides information for every state and U.S. territory.

Old records are considered public records and are not subject to privacy requirements. Old records include: birth records prior to 1908; death records prior to 1958; marriage records prior to 1958. All other records are considered private and confidential, with access limited to those individuals who have a "direct and tangible” interest in the record.

Copies of birth records may only be obtained by the registrant, a member of his immediate family, guardian, or representatives with “a direct and tangible interest” such as an attorney, physician, funeral director, or other authorized agent acting in behalf of the registrant or his family. In order to determine if the “legal representative” may have access to the record, the direct and tangible interest must be listed in any correspondence received or clearly expressed if application is made in person.

Any person shall be guilty of a Class B Felony if he/she willfully and knowingly makes any false statement in an application for a certified copy of a vital record. (NH RSA 5-C:14).

Effective September 7, 1999, the issuance of complimentary copies of birth or marriage certificates ended. Effective July 1, 2010, the fees for certified copies are $15.00 for the first copy and $10.00 for each additional copy requested at the same time. The $15.00 state search fee is established by NH RSA 5-C:10. It includes a certified copy if found, a “No Records” statement if not.

A signed
application (available here) must be presented in person or by mail. Payment must accompany the request. A mail request should be sent to: City Clerk, 229 Main Street, Nashua, NH 03060. Effective January 1, 2005, all individuals requesting a certified copy of a vital record (birth, marriage, or death record, pursuant to RSA 5:C-16) must present positive identification including, but not limited to, a driver's license, passport or other picture identification or, in the absence of acceptable picture identification, shall complete the form "Documentation Evidence for Individuals not Possessing an Acceptable Picture Identification.” If ordering by mail, you must include the request form as well as a photocopy of your identification or the form, “Documentation Evidence for Individuals not Possessing an Acceptable Picture Identification” along with photocopies of the supporting documentation required with that form. Mail-in orders without positive identification will be returned without having been processed.

The Nashua City Clerk's Office accepts cash or check only.  The office cannot accept payment by credit card or debit card and, therefore, cannot accept payment for requests submitted by email, fax, or telephone.  However, the City Clerk's Office can accommodate online orders for certified copies of vital records, for events that occurred in Nashua, using VitalChek, an independent company that it has partnered with to provide you this services.  Go to
 Additionally, VitalChek can provide expedited service for speedy receipt of your certificate.  An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using their services, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa.  For further information -- or if you have questions after placing your order -- contact the Nashua City Clerk's Office at (603) 589-3010.

If you currently have a wallet-size birth certificate you may find that some state and federal agencies will not accept them and you will need to obtain a full size birth certificate.  We can not guarantee the wallet-size birth certificate for travel outside of New Hampshire, but you may be able to use them for sports and school registration.

Sometimes a person finds that the information on the official record is not complete or that some item of information on the certificate does not agree with what he/she believes to be the facts. When this is the case, it is possible to have missing information added, or to have errors on the certificate corrected. There is a fee for an amendment.

A person who wishes to legally change his or her name must contact the Register of Probate at 30 Spring Street, Nashua, NH 03060 (603-882-1231) for further information. Birth certificate amendments are made for the purpose of correcting a record only!

Any person may apply for completion or correction of any certificate in which he/she is directly interested. Ordinarily, this will be the person whose certificate needs to be completed or corrected, one of the parents, or the legal representative of the individual. If the registrant is 18 years of age or older, he/she must approve the requested change when the application is submitted by anyone other than themselves.

There is a special form used for the purpose of applying to amend a certificate. The application must be completed in triplicate and be signed by the person who is applying to amend the record. The signature must be notarized. The applicant will also need to submit evidence to substantiate the statements. Documents used as evidence will be returned to the applicant after the certificate is amended. For minor changes, made within six months of occurrence, a different form is used.

Sometimes a concern arises because the name which appears on the person's certificate is not the name by which he/she is commonly known. In this case it is necessary to determine whether the difference is due to an error on the certificate or whether the person's name has changed by usage. If the names which appear on the certificate were in error, the name or names may be corrected by applying and presenting two early pieces of documentary evidence which show the individual's correct name or names.

The clerk will select the proper forms for the particular request and determine the suitability of documents submitted to substantiate facts. Application to correct or complete a certificate must be made to the city or town clerk in which the event occurred.



Copyright © 2015 City of Nashua, NH USA. All Rights Reserved