Records - Right to Know
RIGHT-TO-KNOW APPLICATIONS (RSA 91-A)
RSA 91-A:4 (IV) provides that “ Each public body or agency shall, upon request for any public record…make available for inspection and copying any such public records within its files when such records are immediately available for such release. If a public body or agency is unable to make a public record available for immediate inspection and copying, it shall, within 5 business days of request, make such record available, deny the request in writing with reasons, or furnish written acknowledgement of the receipt of the request and a statement of the time reasonably necessary to determine whether the request shall be granted or denied.” It further states, “ Nothing in this section shall exempt any person from paying fees otherwise established by law for obtaining copies of public records or documents, but if such fee is established for the copy, no additional costs or fees shall be charged.”
In accordance with RSA 91-A and the “Memorandum by the Attorney General on the Right to Know Law" (July 15, 2009), the public may inspect readily-accessible records. We request that researchers try to conduct their research, preferably between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday – Friday, holidays excepted.
- If a researcher knows, specifically, what materials he/she would like to review, we would request that the researcher schedule an appointment so that those materials can be assembled in preparation for the visit.
- All visitors are required to comply with the research policies of the City Clerk's Office.
- Hourly research charges do not apply for staff assistance in pulling or re-stacking materials.
- Hourly research charges do not apply for written or verbal requests to copy specific documents requested under the right-to-know law (identified by date(s), page numbers, type, etc., and not requiring search). Charges for copies do apply.
- Hourly research charges of $25/hour do apply if a citizen chooses not to personally inspect public records and requests that a staff member conduct research on his/her behalf. Copy charges also apply.