A Short History of Nashua
The area now named "NASHUA" was originally part of "DUNSTABLE, MASSACHUSETTS" . Dunstable, Massachusetts was the earliest settlement in southern New Hampshire and comprised within its borders the areas now known as Hollis, Merrimack and Hudson in New Hampshire, and Tyngsboro, Dunstable and parts of Groton, Pepperell and Townsend in Massachusetts, and portions of Pelham, Litchfield, Milford and Brookline, in New Hampshire.
The settlement of Dunstable belonged to Massachusetts until the division line between the two provinces was settled in 1741. Dunstable was incorporated by New Hampshire April 4, 1746 under the same name, and continued so until December 15, 1836 when the name was changed to Nashua. In 1803 a post office was established in Nashua. In March of 1842 the harmonious tenor between residents of the north and south sides of the Nashua River was broken when the question of where the town hall should be erected was decided by a narrow margin in favor of the residents on the south side.
Immediately after the town meeting the northsiders broke off all relations with the southsiders and finally, on June 3, 1842, the Legislature disannexed the warring communities and the north side became "NASHVILLE" . The Town Hall was completed in 1843, and Nashville was united with Nashua and received its City Charter on June 28, 1853.
NASHUA is called "THE GATE CITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE." The meaning of the name "NASHUA" is twofold; "LAND BETWEEN TWO RIVERS" and “BEAUTIFUL RIVER WITH A PEBBLY BOTTOM.”
More information regarding the History of Nashua