A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z
Laconia Street - Laconia Street was named for the Laconia Company founded by John Mason. The Laconia Company was a group that settled through New Hampshire during the days of early colonization. The group set up post to establish trade relations in the area and was responsible for the establishment of American trade relations.

Lacy Street - The contractor chose to name this street Lacy. This technique is often referred to as the “contractor’s choice” and is named for someone in the family or to sound pleasing.

Lamplighter Street - Lamplighter Street was named for a ship that sailed in the civil war. It was one of the largest ships in the war and was burned by the North in an attack by the south on October 15, 1862. The street is located in the civil war district of Nashua where many of the streets are named for people or places from the civil war.

Lancaster Street - This street was named for the town in England where the story of Robin Hood took place. After the rebellion against the Earl of Lancaster, the people of England fled into Sherwood Forest. The street is located near Friar Tuck Street and Robin Hood in an area named Sherwood Forest.

Lacy Lane - This street, like Kyle Street was another “developer’s choice” name.

Langholm Drive - This street was named for the town of Langholm in Scotland and the name was chosen by the developer.

Laramie Circle - This street was named for Fort Laramie, located in Wyoming. It is located next to Custer Street, whose name came from Custer, the man responsible for breaking the Laramie Treaty in 1874.

Laredo Circle - Laredo Texas provided the inspiration for this street name. It is a city, seat of Webb Co. in S Texas, a port of entry on the Rio Grande opposite Nuevo Laredo, Mexico that was inc. in 1852. It is a leading commercial and tourist gateway to Mexico and serves as a trade and manufacturing center of a region in which grain, livestock, petroleum, and natural gas are produced. Products include refined antimony, clothing, electronic equipment, and processed food. Maquiladoras, twin-plant assembly systems where U.S.-made components are assembled in Mexico and then sent back to the U.S., operate here. Laredo, which is noted for retaining much of the atmosphere of Spanish colonial times, is the home of Laredo State University (1969), a junior college, a philharmonic orchestra, and the San Agustin Historical District. Laredo was founded by Spaniards in 1755 and is named for Laredo, in Santander, Spain. From 1839 to 1841 it was the capital of the so-called Republic of the Rio Grande. It became a frontier post in 1848, when the U.S.-Mexico boundary was established, and it grew rapidly after being reached by rail in the 1880s. Growth accelerated after the discovery nearby of petroleum in the early 1920s.

Laurel Court - This is another first name street found next to Heather, Leslie, and Nancy streets.

Learned Street - Isaac Learned was one of the founders of the Lowell and Pawtuckville regions. It was named to commemorate his contributions to the area.

Lee Ann Street - This is another example of a street that uses a first name and serves as a “developer’s choice.”

Lee Street - Robert E. Lee was the brilliant Confederate general, whose military genius was probably the greatest single factor in keeping the Confederacy alive through the four years of the American Civil War. Lee was born on January 19, 1807, in Stratford, Va., the son of Lighthorse Harry Lee, and was educated at the U.S. Military Academy. He graduated second in his class in 1829, receiving a commission as second lieutenant in the engineers. He became first lieutenant in 1836, and captain in 1838. He distinguished himself in the battles of the Mexican War and was wounded in the storming of Chapultepec in 1847; for his meritorious service he received his third brevet promotion in rank. He became superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy and later was appointed colonel of cavalry. He was in command of the Department of Texas in 1860, and, early the following year, was summoned to Washington, D.C., when war between the states seemed imminent. President Abraham Lincoln offered him the field command of the Union forces, but Lee declined. On April 20, three days after Virginia seceded from the Union, he submitted his resignation from the U.S. Army. On April 23 he became commander in chief of the military and naval forces of Virginia. For a year he was military adviser to Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederate States of America, and was then placed in command of the army in northern Virginia. In February 1865 Lee was made commander in chief of all Confederate armies; two months later the war was virtually ended by his surrender to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House. His great battles included those of Antietam, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, and Gettysburg. The masterly strategy of Lee was overcome only by the superior resources and troop strength of the Union. His campaigns are almost universally studied in military schools as models of strategy and tactics. He had a capacity for anticipating the actions of his opponents and for comprehending their weaknesses. He made skillful use of interior lines of communication and kept a convex front toward the enemy, so that his reinforcements, transfers, and supplies could reach their destination over short, direct routes. His greatest contribution to military practice, however, was his use of field fortifications as aids to maneuvering. He recognized that a small body of soldiers, protected by entrenchments, can hold an enemy force of many times their number, while the main body outflanks the enemy or attacks a smaller force elsewhere. In his application of this principle Lee was years ahead of his time; the tactic was not fully understood or generally adopted until the 20th century. Lee applied for but was never granted the official postwar amnesty. He accepted the presidency of Washington College, now Washington and Lee University, in the fall of 1865; within a few years it had become an outstanding institution. He died there on October 12, 1870. Lee has long been revered as an ideal by southerners and as a hero by all Americans. His antebellum home is now known as Arlington House, the Robert E. Lee Memorial, and is a national memorial. In 1975 Lee’s citizenship was restored posthumously by an act of the U.S. Congress.

Lemon Street - Lemon Street was named for lemons. It is the common name for a small thorny tree, Citrus limon, of the family Rutaceae and for its fruit. Lemon trees are cultivated throughout the subtropical regions of the world. Lemons were first brought from the Middle East to Spain and northern Africa during the Middle Ages. The cultivated lemon is probably a hybrid of two wild species of Citrus, most likely lime and citron. Lemon trees grow about 3 to 6 m (about 10 to 20 ft) tall and are sparsely covered with foliage. The flower has five sepals, five petals, numerous stamens, and a solitary pistil. The upper surface of each petal is white, and the lower surface is pinkish. Lemon flowers have a sweet odor comparable to, but less marked than, the odor of orange flowers.

Leslie Lane - This is another first name street, which was a developer’s choice.

Liberty Street - This street was named for the Liberty Bell. It is the historic bell in Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, rung on July 8, 1776, after the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence. The bell weighs 943.5 kg (2080 lb) and is 3.7 m (12 ft) in circumference at the lip. The bell bears the following inscription: "Proclaim Liberty Throughout All the Land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof. Lev. XXV:X." The bell was ordered in 1751 and was cast in London. It arrived in Philadelphia in August 1752 and was cracked while being tested. It was melted down, and a second bell was cast in April 1753, but this one was also defective. A third was cast in June of that year, by the firm of Pass and Stowe in Philadelphia. On June 7, 1753, the third bell was hung in the tower of Independence Hall. In 1777, during the American Revolution, British troops occupied Philadelphia. The bell was removed from the tower and taken to Allentown, Pa., for safekeeping. It was returned to Philadelphia and replaced in Independence Hall in 1778. Thereafter, the bell was rung on every July 4 and on every state occasion until 1835, when, according to tradition, it cracked as it was being tolled for the death of Chief Justice John Marshall. The bell was moved to its present location in a glass pavilion near Independence Hall in 1976.

Lilac Court - Lilac Court was named for New Hampshire’s state flower. Lilacs are about 30 species of flowering, deciduous shrubs that belong to the plant genus Syringa of the olive family, Oleaceae. Most species are cultivated, and their fragrant blooms range from white through shades of lilac to deep crimson. The common lilac, S. vulgaris, is native to southeastern Europe. Introduced into western Europe in the 16th century, it reached the American colonies before the 1700s. Since that time it has been extensively used for landscaping as an ornamental throughout the temperate zones of the United States. The common lilac is a vigorous shrub that grows up to 6 m (20 ft) in height and is able to withstand harsh environmental conditions. It bears dense, pyramidal clusters of flowers in May and oblong, capsular fruit. The leaves are simple and ovate. The Persian lilac, S. persica, another popular cultivated species, has long, tubular flowers that grow in loose clusters. It reaches heights up to 3 m (10 ft). The late lilac, S. villosa, native to China, has long, broad leaves and lilac or pinkish white flowers. A treelike lilac, S. reticulata, native to Japan, bears yellowish white flowers.

Lincoln Avenue - Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States, guided his country through the most devastating experience in its national history--the Civil War. He served as a lawyer, representative, and is famous for the Lincoln-Douglas debates. In 1837, he visited Nashua , and like other presidents, a street was named in his honor.

Linda Street - This is another first name street chosen by the developer.

Lisa Drive
- This was a first name chosen by the developer.

Lisbon Lane - Lisbon (Portuguese: Lisboa) is the capital, largest city, and chief port of Portugal. The population of the city is 681,063 (1991), and that of Lisbon district is 2,048,000 (1992 est.). About 20% of Portugal's population lives in Lisbon and its suburbs. The city lies on the northern shore of the Tagus River about 13 km (8 mi) from the Atlantic, on the westernmost piece of land in Europe. The estuary there is 3 km (2 mi) wide, but on the inland, or eastern, side of the city it expands into a large, shallow lagoon. Lisbon's harbor is one of the finest in southern Europe.

Lockness Drive - Lockness is a town of Scotland, famous for the Lockness Monster. The street is in an area with other Scottish-named streets.

London Drive - London is the capital and largest city of the United Kingdom. The city (coterminous with the county of Greater London) covers 1,580 sq km (610 sq mi) and has a population of 6,378,600 (1991). The first settlement, the Roman Londinium, was founded in AD 43 on a terrace near the north bank of the River Thames, 64 km (40 mi) from its estuary on the North Sea. The river is tidal, and London has been a port for seagoing vessels since the Roman period. London's size and population mirror the city's economic importance; it is one of the world's leading financial and insurance centers, as well as an important industrial city. London's climate is one of mild winters and cool summers. Rainfall is heaviest in the months of October and November. The city has a reputation for severe fog as a result of the damp air combined with atmospheric pollution. The pollution, however, has been much reduced in recent years.

Lone Star Drive - This is named for the Lone Star state, Texas and is located next to Colonial Street. Stretching 1,244 km (773 mi) from east to west and 1,289 km (801 mi) from north to south, Texas, the Lone Star State, occupies almost 7.5% of the total U.S. land area--a region as large as all of New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Illinois combined. By 1994, Texas had grown to become the second most populous U.S. state, moving ahead of New York and following California. It derives its name from the Spanish and Indian words tejas and techas ("friends" or "allies"). Texas shows the influence of both the Indians and the Spanish, French, and other European explorers and missionaries. In 1820, Moses and Stephen F. Austin started the Anglo-American colonization that culminated in the organization of a provisional government at San Felipe on November 3, 1835, and in independence from Mexico on Mar. 2, 1836. After almost ten years as an independent republic, Texas became a U.S. state on December 29, 1845. The modern economic development of Texas started in January 1901 with the eruption of an oil well drilled at Spindletop, near Beaumont. The rapid discovery of oil in other parts of the state led to a boom that has never really stopped. The economy of Texas has become highly diversified, and its population has more than quintupled during the 20th century.

Louisburg Square - This street is named for the Battle of Louisburg where many New Hampshire militia men fought back the Indian raids in the territory. This battle gained recognition for the New Hampshire militia and was a test of their ability to survive attacks from outside groups.

Lowell Street - Lowell Street is named for the city of Lowell in Massachusetts. It is located about 48 km (30 mi) northwest of Boston, at the confluence of the Merrimack and Concord rivers. One of two county seats of Middlesex County (the other is Cambridge), Lowell has a population of 103,439 (1990). The city has electronics, chemical, and plastics industries. The birthplace of the painter James McNeill Whistler, Lowell is also the seat of the University of Lowell--established by the 1975 merger of Lowell State College (1894) and Lowell Technological Institute (1895). First settled in 1653, Lowell became an important textile center in the 19th century when the waters of the Merrimack were harnessed to provide power for the mills and the Middlesex Canal system was completed.

Lucier Street - Alvin Lucier was born in Nashua in 1931 and made significant contributions to the music industry.

Lyons Street
-This street is named after a one John Lyons, a local who was killed while serving his country in the Vietnam War. Also associated with said Lyons Park also named for this individual and his family.

Luke Street - This street was named for Luke, similarly to Kyle Street. This technique is often referred to as the “contractor’s choice” and is named for someone in the family or to sound pleasing.

Lunar Lane - Lunar Lane was named for the lunar space program. Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, visual exploration through powerful telescopes has yielded a fairly comprehensive picture of the visible side of the moon. The hitherto unseen far side of the moon was first revealed to the world in October 1959 through photographs made by the Soviet Lunik III spacecraft. These photographs showed that the far side of the moon is similar to the near side except that large lunar maria are absent. Craters are now known to cover the entire moon, ranging in size from huge, ringed maria to those of microscopic size. Photographs from U.S. spacecraft-Ranger 7, 8, and 9 and Orbiter 1 and 2-launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in 1964 and 1966 further supported these conclusions. The entire moon has about 3 trillion craters larger than about 1 m (3.32 ft) in diameter.

Lund Road/Street - Lund Road was named for Jonathan Lund, one of the New Hampshire men who fought in the Battle of Bunker Hill. His name is listed on the New Hampshire monument to Bunker Hill. His prominence in the area gained him many honors.

Lutheran Drive - One of the streets in the religious district of town is Lutheran Drive. Lutheranism arrived in America with the early European settlers. In 1625 some Dutch, German, and Scandinavian Lutherans settled in New Amsterdam (now New York City). In 1638 another early Lutheran settlement was founded by Swedes in what is now Delaware. At the beginning of the 18th century German Lutherans settled in large numbers in Pennsylvania. In 1742 Pastor Henry Melchior Muhlenberg (1711-87) arrived from Germany and soon founded (1748) the first Lutheran synod in North America. After the American Revolution, each successive group of Lutheran immigrants founded its own churches and synods and conducted its services in the language of its country of origin. Because of the large numbers of immigrants to the U.S. and Canada in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the integration of Lutherans into North American society went slowly, and Lutheranism was divided into numerous German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, and Slovak groups. Following World War I, however, unification and integration proceeded rapidly. The process accelerated after World War II, and by the early 1980s mergers had consolidated most Lutherans in the U.S. and Canada into five major bodies: the Lutheran Church in America (LCA), with about 3 million baptized members; Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), with a membership of about 2.7 million; the American Lutheran Church (ALC), with about 2.4 million members; the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS), with about 400,000 members; and the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches (AELC), with about 115,000 members. In 1982, the LCA, ALC, and AELC voted to merge after a 5-year preparatory interval in one Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), effective January 1, 1988. Lutheranism is the third largest Protestant denomination in the U.S.